The Travel Corporation’s booking wizard is a platform that allows travel agents (B2B) and consumers (B2C) to book holidays with several of the company’s brands—Trafalgar Tours, Contiki, Insight Vacations, Brendan Vacations and AAT Kings.
This project had two aims: to reduce drop-out in the booking process by improving the experience of booking a holiday; and to refactor the codebase, making maintenance and future changes easier to manage.
Improvements to the experience of booking a holiday were driven by several requirements: to reduce the number of steps involved (7 down to 3); to provide an accurate price and summary of booking choices at each stage of a booking; to allow users to send (by email) an accurate quote based on their booking choices.
Initial concepts for the new booking wizard were produced by the design team at Contiki. I then took the lead on reworking these to fit the broader requirements of The Travel Corporation and its customer-base, and the technical constraints of the in-house reservations system. Areas requiring me to make significant changes included: passenger selection and room allocation, flights, discounts and payment.
My responsibilities during the project included:
- Updating the initial concepts to cover broader business and customer requirements.
- Documenting interactions, expected results and error messaging.
- Creating an interactive prototype to demonstrate proposed functionality, using HTML, CSS and jQuery. This also formed the basis of the final product.
- Producing design concepts for four of the five brands using the booking wizard: Trafalgar Tours, Insight Vacations, Brendan Vacations and AAT Kings.
- Writing the CSS for all five brands.
- Working closely with the development team, Business Analysts and Business Engagement Manager to ensure the new design fulfilled all requirements.
- Presenting updated designs and conducting walk-throughs with stakeholders.